To some, it may just seem like choosing the lesser of two evils, or perhaps an exercise in futility. To the 1% they see it as buying a candidate to do their bidding. When it comes to job creation for the 99%, there is a major difference in parties - and several jobs bills are languishing in Congress due to the fact that the Republicans are in control of the House. Of course there are other struggles out there besides the election - and like every other week, we're promoting ways to fight back!
I'm Just a Bill
Since the GOP became the majority in the House, not one jobs bill has passed. Here's a quick list of bills that could make a big difference for millions of unemployed workers if enacted.
- American Jobs Act - link to information at whitehouse.gov
- America Needs a Raise - online petition to raise the Federal minimum wage
- Bring Jobs Home Act & the Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act info
- Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century - a.k.a. the Transportation Bill
- Rebuild America Act link - commonly known as the Harkin Jobs Bill
Taking Action for Jobs
Now you know a little more about what jobs bills are out there. How would you like to take part in making sure these bills are discussed in the public arena to help ensure they get passed?
- Across the country there are local actions for the Bring Jobs Home Act you can participate in, as well as an online tool from the AFL-CIO to tell President Obama: We Need a Trade Policy That Works for Working Families!
- Postal Workers and the entire Postal Service have been under attack lately, and the workers are fighting back with a hunger strike.
- And we have initiated an online petition to get the Harkin Jobs Bill passed.
A Tale of Two Tax Plans
A new analysis shows that the Congressional Republicans’ tax plan to extend the Bush tax cuts is a winner for the 1%, but a loser for the rest of us. President Obama’s alternative plan is a more limited proposal that would be far more favorable to those at the opposite end of the income ladder.